Bhairawa Statue, Giant Stone Sculpture Collection of The National Museum - indephedia.com

Header Ads

Bhairawa Statue, Giant Stone Sculpture Collection of The National Museum



INDEPHEDIA.com - Bhairawa Statue is a giant stone statue and is now one of the main exhibition collections at the National Museum of Indonesia. This statue depicts "Bhairawa", a giant deity in the syncretism of Tantrayana, namely the embodiment of Shiva and Buddha as a frightening giant.

The statue, which is 4.41 meters high and weighs 4 tons and is made of andesite, is associated with the manifestation of King Adityawarman because he is a Buddhist of the Tantrayana Kalachakra school. Bhairawa, described as a monstrous monstrous embodiment of negative desires, as well as the manifestation of Shiva as well as the Buddha in the Tantrayana school.

This giant statue dating from the XIV century was discovered in 1935 on the banks of the Batanghari River in the middle of rice paddies in the Padang Roco bath complex, Dharmasraya, West Sumatra (West Sumatra), Indonesia, facing east and beneath which flows the Batanghari river.

In the past, in that strategic place Bhairawa stood proudly looking towards the Batanghari River, so that anyone who crossed the river would easily see it. It is said to be strategic because the Padang Roco gateway enters through Batanghari to the center of the government of the Malay Kingdom in West Sumatra, and this giant statue functions as a landmark.

The giant statue had collapsed and buried in the ground, only one side of the pedestal (pedestal) that sticks out to the ground. Local residents who were not aware of the existence of the statue made the stone a sharpener and made a stone mortar as mortar to pound rice. Until now even the former hole can be found on the side of the foundation of this statue.

The statue associated with the embodiment of King Adityawarman was transported by the Dutch East Indies government in 1935 to Bukittinggi Wildlife Park. Then, in 1937 this statue was brought to the National Museum in Batavia and inhabited the National Museum until now. (BD.IN/ENG/*)

No comments